We have a need for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Volunteers to provide free tax preparation for households earning $57,000 or less!
Why be a VITA Volunteer?
- No acounting experience is required. The tax software guides you every step of the way, and the IRS provides free training.
- Volunteers are protected under the Volunteer Protection Act, which means no liability for volunteers.
- The time commitment is up to you. Volunteer as much or as little as you like.
- Evening or daytime hours are available, so you get to choose what works for you.
- There are multiple locations to choose from.
- Volunteering is an excellent way to network with other like-minded individuals.
- The average cost of tax preparation is $200, and the average cost of a Refund Anticipation Loan is $150.
- The IRS estimates that 25% of the taxpayers that qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit do not claim the credit. In Davidson County, we estimate that to be approximately $25 million in EITC credits that are left unclaimed each year by working, low-income families.
- Tax preparation is a unique volunteer opportunity and a great way to learn a new skill.
For more information:
To become a VITA Volunteer, please register here
For more information contact
Frequently Asked Questions
VITA volunteer training is sponsored by the National Association of Black Accountants-Nashville Chapter
Jessica Ho at
email@example.com or 615-780-2444.
Diana and Willene are volunteers at the UW VITA Free Tax Prep Site at Sam Levy. Diana has volunteered with VITA for several years. This tax season she has prepared more than 140 individual tax returns. Her largest return this season? Almost $7,000! Willene has volunteered at the Sam Levy VITA site for 2 years. She says she loves doing volunteering with VITA. Willene says people are always so pleased to get their taxes done for free and most qualify for credits that increase their refund. We appreciate our volunteers so much!